Sunday 12 February 2012

Shatter Me By Tahereh Mafi


Available at: Amazon or The Book Depository 

Book Description: 

"You can't touch me," I whisper.
I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.
He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things.
Bad things.
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.
But Juliette has plans of her own.
After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever




Calamity's Review:

      I had heard some pretty crazily unbelievable stuff about this book being intense and steamy!.. I thought that was a bunch of nonsense because how can something be "steamy" if the Protagonist can't even touch anybody? Well....Tahereh Mafi did it! She played with words in such a way that I couldn't help but get goosebumps.
     The protagonist Juliette was kind of a let down because she isnt as badass as her abililty lets her be. She defs has potential and you can tell that she has some sort of heat within her. Hopefully we'll see some of that in Unravel Me! The "so-called" antagonist, Warner, was actually my favourite character in the book because he's just soo conflicted. You feel furious at him but at the same time you feel bad, while you're laughing non-stop. He's evil but still wants to be loved. The book was predictable but still had me guessing what would happen. I recommend this to people who love dyanamic characters (Warner) and also not-so-dyanamic characters like Adam. Adam's supposed to be one of the main characters but honestly, I just wanted him to leave. He was just too typical for my liking and kind of boring.
     The story line for this book was pretty amazing though and there defs were a couple things that made me legit gasp. It's also ppreeettttyyy original and ideas were new. I rate this a 4!!




Chaos' Review: 

    What caught my attention, was the constant strike outs in the book, not only did Tahereh defy the mechanics within this books, it was completely -Original- her ideas were fresh and eye catching. I liked it.
    The protagonist, Juliette, was interesting personality wise, she may seem mentally disturbed due to years of isolation, but she wasn't as tough as I would have expected, because her powers allows her to destroy things so easily. I do have a strong liking to villains since they're the ones with the power.....I like power :) aka Warner....Tahereh took the villain and constructed him into a sexy being with a power lust. Yeaup. He's got my vote, yet, its so diverse that you can easily perceive him as one of the "good", therefore, I'm definitively expecting a twist in the next book, Unravel Me. 
   After cruising through his book in a matter of 2-3 days, I was craving for more, though this story had brought a fond deja vu matter with X-Men. It was still brilliant. I loved it. 4 stars






No comments:

Post a Comment