Monday 13 February 2012

Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins Review

Available At: Amazon or The Book Depository

Description

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place. 

 
Calamity's Review: 

     Right at the beginning, I had convinced myself that I did not want to read this book. I like books with an enticing beginning because I get distracted very easily and if the book does not capture my attention, I immediately put it down. This is exactly what happened with Hunger Games, I got a horrible vibe that this was going to be a sad book because of the mood and setting. Knowing me and of my habit, Chaos narrated the entire first chapter for me. I was thrown into shock and had to immediately continue on reading the book, from there one, I consumed the book and finished it immediately. Thanks Chaos.
      The Hunger Games is unlike any dystopian book I have read, it wasn't an emotional roller coaster, it was something that had me thinking a lot though. I thought about how amazing and strong we really are, as people. Katniss, the protagonist of the book, reminded me of Rose Hathaway from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. She is strong-willed, takes crap from nobody, has a heart of gold and would do anything for her loved ones. The one difference I did find though was that Katniss was always "looking over her shoulder." She didn't trust anybody and always thought that someone was after her for something and everyone had ulterior motives. This trait of hers bothered me a lot.
       As for the male protagonists, Peeta and Gale, let's NOT do any of the "TEAM PEETA!!" or "TEAM GALE!!" nonsense. This isn't twilight people. I liked them and they both had personalities to show her. Peeta is the more kind, open hearted and smitten baker, while Gale is the more practical, tough love hunter. Liking either one depends completely on the type of person you are and in opposites like these two, there is no way to be one side or the other.
The book in itself, WAS FREAKING AMAZING!




Chaos' Review: 

    Yes, yes save the applause. It took me a year to bring Calamity into reading this book. I fell into desperation and verbally threw the first chapter at her, THEN did she pick up the book and finish it. Pssssht. People used to make jokes about me because they said "so boring" "not worth my time" YEA NOW WHAT!!! It's a movie releasing out on March 23,2012!!!! (Insert psycho laugh). Enough with me relishing in the "I told you so" phrase. 
    The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins was exceptionally mind blowing. Forever has it been one of my favourites. (<---Canadian Spelling for "favorite" so yes, my spelling is correct). The fact that the protagonist is so -human- is what increases my love for this book. Katniss is definitely Kick-Butt, yet the turning events in this book mentally disturbs her, which increases the -humanity- given within this character. Throughout this entire book, Katniss is moved by the passion of wanting to protect her family, now that she -must- put this trait into play, she enhances that passion into a rage to keep her going. In the end, it scars her mentally. 
    Here we go again with TEAM PEETA & TEAM GALE (In comments, post which team you ship XP).
Personally, as Calamity said, this isn't Twilight! Both these men have different roles in this book, both men have different personalities. We can't play this Jacob and Edward card here. Besides, Katniss' main goal isn't on which boy to chose, but her FAMILY. Family, is the key here, Katniss doesn't wish to play Bella here and have the men do the fighting, have others preserve -her- life. She depends on herself to protect her loved ones and won't stop until it HAPPENS! Lets face it.....It's too good.





No comments:

Post a Comment